Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Daisy and her woes...


So, the wonderful Miss Daisy has been working on getting better. She really has. The doctor at the lab thought she had a low grade kidney infection, so we extended her antibiotics for another two weeks. And--getting technical here--her urine was concentrating better (good dog!). Unfortunately, the poor dear ended up basically being poisoned by her antibiotics. Metronidazole toxicity, they said. But I didn't know that. I thought she was just sore from playing with Ziggy. And then it got hot and she's something of a drama queen, so I also thought she was just doing the "Oh, poor me," thing (I don't know where she would have learned that from).

So we figured we'd go to the river, and camp (that is her favorite thing--she told me so). I mean, she's been stiff and sore before, and she just looked a little stiff and sore, not NEAR DEATH or anything. But it got worse, and she couldn't walk and she was really stressed out and her eyes were all wide and panicky, so we came home. 100 degrees, in the car, my air conditioner starts blowing out hot air, and we're stuck behind a line of cars because of an accident. And my dog is overheating. But, we make it to Dove Lewis and take her in and they put her on an IV drip with Valium (um, can I get one of those?) and the kind, smart doctor asks me a zillion questions. At first she was thinking possibly a stroke, but after hearing about everything for the past three months, and the antibiotics, she narrowed it down to the toxicity thing. Basically, she gets dizzy, and then her body tries to right itself, and she just can't and her muscles work overtime to get there, and she overheats. But still--36 hours later and she's still in ICU.

However, in two hours, I find out if she can come home. Oh, I hope she can.

No comments: